|Print Version||Have You Heard?|
The media is definitely back on the job. Last night, CBC took both the Conservatives and the Liberals to task over projected spending plans. In an interview with Industry Minister Jim Prentice, for example, his allegations that Liberals are spendthrift got short shrift from Susan Bonner.
What is most interesting is the set pattern Conservatives have developed in responding to astute questioning. Whether in QP, committees or interviews, they follow a simple enough rubric:
(1) Briefly acknowledge whatever question is asked.
(2) Roll out the rhetoric (effectively ignoring the question).
(3) Praise the Conservatives.
(4) Attack the Liberals.
(5) Repeat steps 2 to 4 as often as time allows.
(6) Throughout, never budge or concede your position, and always keep a firm authoritative tone.
The more adept practitioners of this practice often manage to reduce questioners to a sort of flustered incoherence. Mr. Prentice's performance last night was classic. The tape could well be used as a training video for aspiring cabinet ministers.
To watch the interview on CBC, click here and select the Monday night episode
Posted On Feb 19 11:20PM
Posted On Feb 19 11:14PM
Posted On Feb 19 06:50PM